Sunday, August 3, 2008






This is a female sago and it's time for her to be pollinated.This sago belongs to my boss. She has a beautiful yard, I will be posting some of her other plants and palms later.
Cycas revoluta, one of the most primitive living seed plants, are very unusual and popular ornamentals. A rugged trunk, topped with whorled feathery leaves has lead to the common name "Sago Palm", however it is actually related to conifer and Ginko trees - all cone bearing plants which trace their origins back to the ancient flora of the early Mesozoic era. Often called "living fossils", Cycads have changed very little in the last 200 million years.

2 comments:

Eve said...

I love Sagos. That one is a beauty. It is really interesting to find out about it. I am starting to get really interested in the tropical type plants. All I need now is a husband whose hand fits a shovel. LOL

Susie said...

Hi Doris,

I love those sago palms. I think that is really interesting long ago they can be traced. I would love to have some in my yard but sometimes it can get a little too cold here.